Throughout your career you have likely wondered why some people always get what they ask for at work. It is not that they are gifted or lucky; they simply understand how to effectively communicate their wants to those in charge. To help you become more effective at asking for what you want at work, I have put together some helpful tips.
- Know What You Want – It is common for many people to say that they want something but not be able to clearly explain what it is. This is because they likely haven’t thought it through completely. To know what you want, you should begin by understanding what you want and deciding how you can put it into words in clear and concise manner.
- Don’t Be Afraid – The most common thing that keeps you from asking for something is the fear of being rejected. The only thing keeping you from getting what you want is being afraid to ask for it. When you overcome this fear, you will be able to clearly ask for what you want and not be afraid of a negative outcome.
- Know Who You Are Speaking To – It is common for us to lose sight of who we are actually speaking to when we ask for something at work. If you feel intimidated by someone, you will likely find it difficult to speak with them. To overcome this, simply keep in mind that they are human too and that they will likely listen to what you have to say and be respectful of your needs.
- Pay Attention – When you ask for something at work, you may receive a counter offer. It is important that you clearly understand what is being offered and how your needs will be met. If you feel that the counter offer is acceptable, then you can agree to the terms without feeling as though you were not treated fairly. If you are not sure of what is being offered, don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Small Wins – If you are after a long-term solution it is important that you begin by asking for small things at first. This will make it easier for those in charge to agree to your requests without feeling as though they have given you too much.
If you are met with rejection when you first ask for something, do not be afraid to try again. Simply try a different approach but remain determined until your needs are met. Those who are not driven will likely never get what they want. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want, you may be surprised at the willingness of your superiors to agree to your terms.