In addition to being a business and real estate attorney, I am a Director/Consultant and Ambassador for Business Network International (BNI), a global business networking organization in 70 countries around the world. Started by Dr. Ivan Misner in 1985, Dr. Misner identifies the top 10 traits of master networkers, which I have used in my law practice, and which work for small and large business owners, such as yourself. Here are ten things that will make you more effective at networking and bringing in clients as a result of that networking.
- Positive Attitude. When you’re positive, people want to be around you.
- Timely follow-up on referrals -This is the # 1 trait of successful networkers.
- Enthusiasm and motivation If we sell ourselves with enthusiasm, it’s easy to then sell our product or service.
- Trustworthiness. When we refer someone to a friend, client or colleague, we put our reputation on the line. Trust has to be earned before we do this.
- Good Listening Skills. The faster you and your networking partner learn what you need to know about each other, the faster you develop a valuable relationship because you are finding out their needs and problems.
- Commitment to Networking 24/7. Master networkers practice their skills everywhere they are. This can be at a child’s school, in a grocery store line, etc.
- Gratitude. Thanking others at every opportunity makes you stand out from the crowd if you are sincere, because it is uncommon today.
- Helpfulness. Master networkers keep tuned in for opportunities to advance other people’s interest. What goes around comes around.
- Sincerity. People will know if you are faking it. Make eye contact and stop multitasking when you are speaking to someone, either on the phone or in person. Put your cell phone on mute and give the other person your undivided attention.
- Dedicate yourself to working your network. Use every opportunity to keep up with people in your network by using contact management software, organizing email addresses and carrying your referral partner’s business cards with you. Meet with potential referral partners to get to know them better, and for them to get to know you better.
Need help with a real estate or business legal matter? Nancy Lewellen can help with contracts, commercial and residential leases, setting up a corporation, LLC or other business entity, and much more. Contact her today at email@example.com or 415-399-0993 for a free 15- minute consultation.