“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou
Unless you are a hermit, everything in business and life is about relationships. So gaining mastery in building amazing, impactful relationships is the key to success.
Here are the five keys to creating impactful relationships in every area of your life:
- Focus on the Other. Seek to serve and support instead of putting yourself first, thinking about ‘What’s in it for me?’ Give unconditionally and the rest will follow. When others feel seen, heard, ‘gotten,’ acknowledged and loved, you will truly be a powerful contributor in their lives.
- Be Interested. Ask questions instead of talking talk about yourself. This is so simple, yet so powerful. All it takes is to be genuinely interested, and people will open up right away.
- Listen. Instead of waiting to speak, listen openly. This will immediately put people at ease and build trust, which is one of the most important elements in great relationships.
- Keep Your Heart Open. Relationships are living organisms. This is so easy to forget, especially with long-term relationships. Like flowers, they need nurturing and tender loving care to blossom.
- Be Intentional. While you can’t actually ‘make’ anyone feel anything, you can be intentional in how you want to make people feel-and then be and do what it takes to create those ideal relationships.
Think about the relationships in your life. How are they going? Are they ideal in every way or are there some gaps between where they are and the ideal? If so, think about how you could be different and what you could do differently to create great relationships. Use these keys to take a baby step and then another, and watch what happens!